The EHA BC does not have advocates. Trained advocates are often available through disability centers, volunteer groups and community centers in your area.
PovNet has listings of advocates of all types throughout BC.
See also, "Finding Advocates" on page 14 of Newsletter #31 in our newsletter archives.
Chemicals compose synthetic fragrances to make a pleasant odour. These fragrances are used in all types of consumer products.
Many of those with ES are sensitive to all fragrances. European Union has designated 26 fragrance allergens, 16 are natural.
The exposure avenues include:
The skin and body can store the fragrance/chemicals and breakdown products for long periods of time and then release them into the blood stream.
There are both synthetic and natural fragrances that known or suspected to be:
Fragrances and chemicals circulate through the body affecting organs before they go to the liver for detoxification. This can:
Each person's sensitivities and situations are different.
Procedures and products that are tolerated may vary. Products may be discontinued or "new & improved." Modify the guidelines as needed.
There are many clinics and practitioners that one can go to for help. Most find it helpful to start by looking for and removing possible causes first.
Note: mould and mold refer to the same problem: mould is a Canadian spelling and mold is an American spelling.
Mould is a microscopic fungi with airborne spores that are easily spread. It gives off VOCs (volatile organic components) and can be highly allergenic and toxic to human health whether you are sensitive or not. Different types of mold require different surfaces in order to grow.
Buildings with high humidity and leaks under sinks or in the roof would be at risk. Mold may be seen around older single-paned windows, on the grouting around bathtubs or on the walls and wallpaper.
If you suspect mould is a problem you can have your home tested to see what type of mould you are dealing with and locate the source. Removing it yourself can be hazardous to your health. Improper cleanup can spread the spores.
Chlorine bleach is no longer the recommended treatment. It can actually encourage the mould grow.
Building Biologists or Indoor Air Quality Professionals can test your home for mould as well as other indoor air quality issues. Building Biologists have the added advantage of being able to test for a variety of other problems that can affect your health such as electromagnetic pollution.
You can also contact the CMHC for a list of Indoor Air Quality Professionals in your area.
Updated: April 10, 2018