Safer Home Maintenance Alternatives
Not all "green" building materials or projects will necessarily be compatible with ES persons. Screen to match up with your personal needs.
- Light House, Sustainable Building Centre has a searchable green product and professional database. Not all products available are listed.
- Mud Girls Natural Building Collective — a non-profit collective — natural building workshops.
- Straw Bale Building — workshops, instructional materials.
The VOC content of a product is not the only ingredient to consider. Those with ES often do better with paint formulas containing the least toxic ingredients. Test for personal tolerance.
All paints are available in Canada.
- AFM Safecoat — no VOC paints and least-toxic sealants.
- Farrow and Ball.
- Green Planet Paint.
- Homestead Milk Paint — Canada's only milk paint company. Online orders or through retailer.
- YOLO Color House — no-VOC paint, least-toxic ingredients.
- Toxnet — Toxicology Data Network.
- Volatile Organic Compounds in Your Home — Minnisota Department of Health.
Pesticides & Herbicides
- Simple Steps to Ecological Lawn Care.
- Commonly Asked Questions About Chemical Lawn Care — from Beyond Pesticides.
- Pesticide Gateway from Beyond Pesticides includes a complete list of pesticides, denoting the least toxic chemicals and those that are toxic to bees.
- The Bug Stops Here — Steve Tvedten's non-toxic insect control.
- Lawn Pesticides Factsheet — The Watershed Partnership, Inc.
- Health Effects of 30 Commonly Used Pesticides (PDF 335 KB).
See also, "Bed Bugs, Least Toxic Controls" on page 6 and "Non-Toxic Weed Control" on page 7 of Newsletter #30 in our newsletter archives.
Non-Toxic Household Products
- EHANS Non-Toxic Guide.
- 1001 Uses for Distilled Vinegar.
- Baking Soda — 30 cleaning tips.
- Cleaning to Protect Your Health: Safe and Unsafe Ingredients in Cleaning Products (PDF 33 KB).
Updated: September 26, 2016